Other Books in Series
- #2: The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn: A Claire Malloy Mystery (Claire Malloy Mysteries #2) (Mass Market): Email or call for price
- #4: A Really Cute Corpse: A Claire Malloy Mystery (Claire Malloy Mysteries #4) (Paperback): $19.99
- #7: Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy Mystery #7) (Paperback): $15.00
- #8: Poisoned Pins: A Claire Malloy Mystery (Claire Malloy Mysteries #8) (Paperback): $20.99
- #12: A Holly, Jolly Murder: A Claire Malloy Mystery (Claire Malloy Mysteries #12) (Paperback): $20.99
- #16: Damsels in Distress Lib/E (Claire Malloy Mysteries (Audio) #16) (Compact Disc): $47.95
- #17: Mummy Dearest Lib/E (Claire Malloy Mysteries (Audio) #17) (Compact Disc): $115.50
- #18: Deader Homes and Gardens: A Claire Malloy Mystery (Claire Malloy Mysteries #18) (Mass Market): Email or call for price
- #19: Murder as a Second Language: A Claire Malloy Mystery (Claire Malloy Mysteries #19) (Paperback): $17.99
- #20: Pride v. Prejudice: A Claire Malloy Mystery (Claire Malloy Mysteries #20) (Paperback): $22.99
Claire Malloy now a married woman of leisure tries her hand at volunteering, but instead lands her right in the middle of another murder investigation
Longtime bookseller and single mother, Claire Malloy has recently married her long term beau and moved out of her less than opulent apartment into a sprawling, newly remodeled house. Her daughter, Caron, is making plans for college. All of which leaves Claire with something she hasn't had in quite a while: spare time.
When her attempts to learn French cooking start getting "mixed" reviews, she agrees to help Caron and her best friend Inez in fluffing up their college applications by volunteering as an ESL tutor with the Farberville Literacy Council. But her modest effort to give back quickly becomes a nightmare when she's railroaded onto the Board of Directors of the troubled nonprofit. Vandalism, accusations of embezzlement, epic budget problems, and a cacophony of heavily-accented English speakers are just the tip of the iceberg. Just as she decides that it might be best to extricate herself, Claire gets a frantic call from her husband, Deputy Chief Peter Rosen. One of the students, an older Russian woman named Ludmilla, famed for her unpleasantness, has been murdered in the offices of the Farberville Literary Council. For the first time ever, Peter actually asks Claire for her help, and Hess brings a new depth to this fan-favorite series, in "Murder as a Second Language.
About the Author
JOAN HESS is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. A long-time resident of Fayetteville, Arkansas, she now lives in Austin, Texas.
"If you've never spent time with Claire Malloy and her crew, I feel sorry for you. Stop reading this nonsense and hop to it. You'll see wit and humanity all wrapped up in a nifty murder mystery." —Harlan Coben
"Snappy, sassy." —Publishers Weekly on Deader Homes and Gardens
"Hess writes this series with a wickedly funny sense of humor. Anyone looking to be amused by a wildly entertaining series will have a good time." —Mystery Scene on Out on a Limb
"Humor, sympathetic characters, and plot twists make for an enjoyable addition to this cozy series." —Booklist on Deader Homes and Gardens